Adsense

Monday, September 15, 2008

ISA : Incredibly Sad Arse






On 12th September 2008, Tan Hoon Cheng, reporter for the Chinese paper, Sin Chew Daily was arrested by the SS.... sorry ISA, where she would be detained for the next 18 hours before being released. Upon her release, she was said to be frightened during her captivity but who wouldn't be?

There were so many countless others like, Anwar Ibrahim, Lim Kit Siang, Lim Guan Eng, Jeffery Kitingan to name but a few. These people were incarcerated for years as the ISA is empowered to detain individuals for 2 years without trial. Some were given extensions. So we cannot really say much about the ISA's system except that it is whimsical just like any other government agencies.

What I'm getting at is with the ISA's sudden spot checks and arrests is enough to strike fear into their victims' being. The fear of the unknown is being used to intimidate whoever the ISA's prey may be. I remember, when I was still growing up, my political relative was also living in fear since we were opposition during those days. 

Without anything much to add to this sad,sad episode in this generation's history, I must say that I'm feeling sicker as the day goes by. I am yearning for the change of government just like many others here in this nation.












Meanwhile, Zaid Ibrahim (left), tendered his resignation as Minister in the Prime Minister's Department today, as protest against the government's use of the ISA. 

I have to say that I admire this principled man for standing by his beliefs especially in times like nowadays.

"We have a government that commits to laws and reforms, we can't be using old-style politics or resort to creating fear. We have laws and they (the detainees) should be charged in court. If my position is untenable, I will leave," Zaid Ibrahim during the recent MalaysiaKini interview

Now the question is; what's next?

Today's date is 15th September 2008. Tomorrow is suppose to be the deadline of the change government. I'm doubting it but at the same time I'm hoping for it to happen.

Why am I hoping, one might ask?

It's only because I want to breathe the same air that I breathed in on 8th March 2008, the night of when the Opposition caused a major dent in the Umnoverse...

No comments:

Recent Malaysia Kini Posts

Site Sponsor

e-referrer

Followers