Adsense

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Paul Newman, Hollywood's anti-hero, dies at 83

Paul Newman, Hollywood's anti-hero, dies at 83





















WESTPORT, Conn., Sept 28 - Paul Newman never much cared for what he once called the "rubbish" of Hollywood, choosing to live in a quiet community on the opposite corner of the US map, staying with his wife of many years and - long after he became bored with acting - pursuing his dual passions of philanthropy and race cars.

And yet despite enormous success in both endeavours and a vile distaste for celebrity, the Oscar-winning actor never lost the aura of a towering Hollywood movie star, turning in roles later in life that carried all the blue-eyed, heartthrob cool of his anti-hero performances in "Hud," "Cool Hand Luke" and "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid."

The 10-time Academy Award nominee died Friday at age 83, surrounded by family and close friends at his Westport farmhouse following a long battle with cancer, publicist Jeff Sanderson said yesterday.

In May, Newman dropped plans to direct a fall production of "Of Mice and Men" at Connecticut's Westport Country Playhouse, citing unspecified health issues. The following month, a friend disclosed that he was being treated for cancer and Martha Stewart, also a friend, posted photos on her Web site of Newman looking gaunt at a charity luncheon.

But true to his fiercely private nature, Newman remained cagey about his condition, reacting to reports that he had lung cancer with a statement saying only that he was "doing nicely."

As an actor, Newman got his start in theater and on television during the 1950s, and went on to become a legend held in awe by his peers. He won one Oscar and took home two honorary ones, and had major roles in more than 50 motion pictures, including "Exodus," "Butch Cassidy," "The Verdict," "The Sting" and "Absence of Malice." MORE

'Will UPKO Do As "SAPP"?':Bernama

Bernama.com ver 5.0
September 28, 2008 13:36 PM

Will UPKO Do As "SAPP"?

By Newmond Tibin

KOTA KINABALU, Sept 28 (Bernama) -- When Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP) president Datuk Yong Teck Lee announced the party's decision to leave the Barisan Nasional (BN) coalition on Sept 17, it did not surprise many people as it was something to be expected.

This was because three months beforehand, SAPP had displayed such a tendency.

But when United Pasokmomogun Kadazandusun Murut Organisation (UPKO) yesterday threatened to review its position in BN, it came as a shock and was seemingly reminiscent to SAPP's political move.

UPKO thus became the second BN component party in Sabah to make a "strong statement" against BN after SAPP.

While SAPP unveiled Sabah-related issues as its political "weapon", UPKO appeared to be unhappy with the way the National Registration Department (NRD) handled the plight of 78-year old Yong Lee Hua, a Sino-Kadazan, who was issued with a red identity card (IC) with a status of a permanent resident when she went to replace her blue IC that she lost in a supermarket in Penampang last year.

Surprised by the downgrading, UPKO deputy president Datuk Wilfred Bumburing was quoted as saying yesterday that taking away the citizenship of a locally-born Bumiputera and forcing the person to take permanent resident status was a shocking display of incompetence from a department rigged with controversies, including dubious ICs issued to illegal immigrants via false Statutory Declarations.

"This action by the NRD infringes the basic rights of Malaysians in Sabah and if it is not rectified, UPKO must seriously review its position in Barisan," said Bumburing, who is member of Parliament for Tuaran.

So will UPKO follow SAPP because of its dissatisfaction with the BN?

A local political analyst, Iskandar Martin Gayo, believed that UPKO may have no plans to pull out of BN for now although the Sabah-based party had been quite vocal of late in airing the grouses and grievances of the people in Sabah.

"I think what UPKO wants is for the government to rectify the 'mistake' of a federal government department and it's not an ultimatum. There is nothing wrong with it. After all what UPKO is fighting for is for the good of the local people in Sabah.

"It's already an open secret that Sabah is inundated with illegal immigrants and some of them even managed to acquire MyKad through dubious means, which ultimately qualify them to get citizenship.

"How come these people can easily get citizenship when our own people are struggling to get it?" he asked.

He urged the federal government to let Sabahans lead the NRD and Immigration Department in Sabah as they would be more familiar with problems affecting the local population.

Iskandar said the state government under Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman had been working hard, together with the federal government, to tackle the problem of illegal immigrants.

The issue of illegal immigrants, he said, should not arise anymore as the state and federal governments were serious about solving it once and for all by launching a massive operation to flush out illegals in Sabah recently.

"Recent operations had resulted in thousands of illegal immigrants being sent back to their country of origin. The local people should give the government a chance to complete this gigantic task and all this will not be accomplished overnight," he said.

Iskandar hoped the case involving Yong Lee Hua highlighted by UPKO was an isolated one and without necessitating it having to think about its status in BN.

He said even UPKO president and Penampang MP Tan Sri Bernard Dompok had previously denied that the party would leave BN.

Instead, UPKO leaders would remain loyal to BN chairman and Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, he said.

UPKO has four MPs -- Dompok, Bumburing, Datuk Dr Marcus Majigoh (Putatan) and Datuk Siringan Gubat (Ranau).

-- BERNAMA

Aki Momogun: UPKO to quit BN too???

Aki Momogun: UPKO to quit BN too???

Reading comments in the local newspapers from senior leaders of UPKO lately made me conclude that this Sabah-based Barisan Nasional's component member might follow suit Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP) led by Datuk Yong Teck Lee to pull out from the national coalition.
UPKO leaders had openly said that the party led by Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Tan Sri Bernard Dompok will have to review its position in the BN Government led by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.
The latest is from UPKO Deptuy President Datuk Seri Panglima Wilfred Mojilip Bumburing, who was commenting on a Sino-Kadazan woman from Penampanag who lost her MyKad and was replaced by the National Registration Department with one that made here just a Permanent Resident.
"What had happened to the 78-year-old Yong Lee Hua @ Piang Lin was simply outrageous and warrant UPKO seriously reviewing its position in BN," Bumburing the BN member of Parliament for Tamparuli.
Meanwhile, commenting on the same issue, UPKO Secretary-General Datuk Wilfred Madius Tangau said if the party's objectives were not `heard' by BN then the party could review its position in the coalition.
"UPKO members has the right to decide its position in Barisan Nasional," he said. Tangau is the former MP for Tuaran.
My Say:
Compared to SAPP, UPKO has four Members of Parliament - Dompok (Penampang), Bumbiring (Tuaran), Datuk Dr Marcus Mojigoh (Putatan) and Datuk Saringan Gubat (Ranau). SAPP has two - Datuk Eric Majimbun (Sepanggar) and Datuk Dr Chua Soon Bui (Tawau).
Yong and Dompok has one thing in common - both were founder members of Parti Bersatu Sabah (PBS) and ditched the party to form their own political parties in 1994. SAPP had quit BN on Sept 17, 2008.

By Joseph Bingkasan AKA Aki Momogun

UPKO also wants ISA Reviewed

Daily Express, Sabah, Malaysia -- News Headlines

Upko also wants ISA reviewed 
23 September, 2008

Kota Kinabalu: United Pasokmomogun Kadazandusun Murut Organisation (Upko) has joined its three other Barisan Nasional (BN) counterparts MCA, Gerakan and MIC in calling the Government to review the Internal Security Act (ISA).

Its Secretary-General Datuk Wilfred Madius Tangau said the party is concerned in the way that the ISA is being indiscriminately used by the authorities.

He said as an example there were several individuals detained under the ISA for a purported involvement in a 'Project IC' in Sabah some years ago but "all it did was to inflict suffering to the individual concern and their families√Čbut nothing was done to make sure the identity cards issued under the said project is invalidated."

Responding in a statement on the report in newspapers quoting Home Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar saying ISA not used for politics report in national papers today, Madius said the party also support the position taken by former de-facto Law Minister Datuk Zaid Ibrahim that the ISA should only be used against those who posed a threat to national security, such as terrorists.

"Clearly in the case of Seputeh MP, Teresa Kok, and blogger, Raja Petra Kamaruddin, and Sin Chew Daily reporter, Tan Hoon Cheng, there are so many other public order laws that can be used against them if, at all, there is a case to do so," he said.

The party also most welcomed Kok's release from the ISA detention.

Razaleigh to go for No. 1 - The Malaysian Insider

Razaleigh to go for No. 1UPDATED
By Debra Chong

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 27 — Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah said today he will contest the Umno presidency even if Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi decides against defending his post.

He also spoke out against the postponement of the party polls, and urged members to push for the reinstatement of December as the date of the annual general assembly.

Tengku Razaleigh also called on Umno grassroots to reject the latest transition of power plan involving Abdullah and party deputy president Datuk Seri Najib Razak.

"I reject this transition of power because it is extra-constitutional," the veteran Umno member told reporters at his home here.

He criticised the transition plan for being unethical as "it is not stated within the party's constitution".

"This is not a game, because the leadership of Umno is also the leadership of the country.

"We have to be more responsible than that. Don't allow people to laugh at us!" he said, noting that the flip-flop political agreement between Abdullah and Najib created great confusion among not only party members but among ordinary Malaysians as well and had turrned the whole country into an international laughing stock.

At the Umno supreme council meeting yesterday, Abdullah and Najib announced the decision to postpone the party's annual general assembly until next March to facilitate an earlier transition of power.

But Tengku Razaleigh said that if they both wanted a transition of power to happen, they should follow the party's code of ethics by holding an election to let the members decide.

"Why are we dilly-dallying?" he asked.

Tengku Razaleigh, or Ku Li as he is affectionately called, has offered himself to be a candidate for the Umno presidency.

He said he was confident of securing enough nominations from the divisions to be able to contest the top party post.

"That's why I am offering myself," he said.

'I'm praying very hard I'll get 140. Then there'll be no opposition," he quip

Recent Malaysia Kini Posts

Site Sponsor

e-referrer

Followers