Adsense

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Dialysis




I just got back from visiting a friend who is undergoing dialysis treatment. When he showed me the areas on his body poked and prodded, I felt sick and sad.

I felt sick because of the dehumanization that he has to endure in order to prolong his life. I can't imagine being in a situation where my kidneys failing and heavily dependent on machines to keep me alive.

My friend looked so fragile. I remember back in 1999, he was the fittest among his peers and looked good with his muscles bulging. Then suddenly in 2004 his kidneys failed him. Now his undergoing dialysis.


The treatment is expensive but then again, aren't they all?

He needs money to keep going.

When the money ends, he ends too.

That's why I felt sad.

His advice to me is to drink lots of water.

He also told me to lose weight... but that's another post altogether!

I started thinking on ways how we can rectify this problem within our society. Perhaps since I'm in an NGO we might be able to help organize a fundraising in aid of dialysis research in order to keep the cost low. Refer to link below;

Anyway, this topic will be expanded upon later. For now, all I can say that our friend is being positive and time to time I'll drop by over his place/phone just to see how he's doing.

I'm now finding myself appreciating life each day for it is so short. There's so much to do in so little time. We should make the most of living life. 

More on this next time. Meanwhile please check out Living With Dialysis

No comments:

Recent Malaysia Kini Posts

Site Sponsor

e-referrer

Followers