Adsense

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Passing Of A Friend Who Called Me Brother

A friend of mine passed away 3 weeks ago and I only found out today. He died from colon cancer. He was 46 years old.

I was taken aback because I didn't expect him of all people to go so soon.

I'm trying to recall when was the last time that I met and chatted with him. I'm not so sure but I'm guessing around June-July. Anyway...

I was rushing towards an appointment where I had to go across one of my home-town's favorite eatery that served fresh fish noodle soup. He was having his breakfast with, I assumed, his wife when he caught sight of me and started to wave in order get my attention. 

I went over to his table and we chatted for awhile, we spoke about the old days and other memorable things that we could think of in a span of 5 minutes as I was truly rushing.

During conversation, I couldn't help noticing his significant weight loss. I thought he looked good because he was quite heavy before that. I guess that's why we're friends because I too possess the fat people jiggling-giggling thing... y'know the tummy jiggles when you giggle? Get it? Jiggling-giggling? If you don't get it, well never mind, it's a fat people thing... You could probably happened to be a person that really,really looks ridiculously good in tights and that would justify the lack of knowledge about the jiggling-giggling thing. I don't expect a person with 6 pack Abs to understand the notion of a jiggling-giggling thing. 

Besides, legend say that ridiculously really,really good looking people don't know how to laugh. Maybe they do but won't do it because they don't want to grow fat in the face...

ANYWAY...

My friend, seriously, was one of the few people that I didn't mind of seeking advice from. He was like an elderly brother type who listened and gave their counsel when was asked to. Some of the things he said contributed to being the man I am today.

When we were in conversation at the noodle soup shop, he told me that he wanted to return to the organization that he left a few years ago. I asked why. He merely replied that he wished to return home and help out there. He hoped that the organization would accept his re-application for his return. I said I'm sure that they would. Then I had to take my leave of him as I had other matters to attend to. As we parted, we promised each other to catch up and meet up again.

And then I found out of his passing today. The reason why that I didn't know about it was purely because of my attitude of ignoring the local newspapers. I ignored the newspapers due to their strong bias for the government. There was an event of where I observed a minister dictated on what the journalists may or may not say. As I write these words down, please bear in mind, dear reader, that these are just my own thoughts and mine alone. I speak for nobody and I only do so for myself... What was that? Oh shoot, I rambled again.

Tom, it has been an honor in knowing you and I hope that you are well in heaven. What I'm writing now pales in comparison in what I am feeling now. There's a lot of 'what-ifs' and 'should-haves' scenarios racing in my thoughts now as I write.

Like my grandmother before you, it feels like you never left. You're still here but in a better place. Whatever it is...

I miss you bro. I'm so sorry for rushing that day.

Life is so short and fragile.

Take time to enjoy the little things in life whenever you get the chance.

It could be your last chance.


Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole sang this beautiful rendition of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World" with a ukelele. He too has passed on at an early age of 38. Have a listen and think of the loved ones who had since moved on to another world...

No comments:

Recent Malaysia Kini Posts

Site Sponsor

e-referrer

Followers